Clemson University says its admissions office may be unable to handle the flood of applications it has received.
The university announced Tuesday that it has not yet received enough applications to cover the enrollment cap imposed by the state of South Carolina after the 2017-18 school year, which ended on Sept. 1.
“As we enter into the new academic year, it is hard for us to imagine how we can meet the needs of all of our incoming students, including those who have already enrolled,” Clemson President R. Bowen Loftin said in a statement.
“We are grateful to the many applicants who have applied and have been accepted.
We will work with our admissions staff to identify the best ways to provide the best experience for all of them.”
The school said it would provide a full explanation of its admissions procedures to the state in the coming days.
Clemson’s enrollment has been cut in half from the 1,828 that had been in place when the state imposed the cap, which had an impact on the school’s annual budget.
The state has since put in place a cap of 10 percent on state funding.
It was the largest increase in state funding since the state began collecting enrollment data in the 1960s.
The move prompted some to question whether the university had enough applicants for the 2018-19 academic year.
The school received 684 applications for the upcoming academic year and is projected to need to receive 1,600 applications for that year, according to Loftin.
The announcement comes amid rising concerns about the quality of the college application process.
Last week, the U.S. News & World Report ranked Clemson No. 18 among the nation’s top-ranked colleges for a list of the country’s most highly rated schools, with its ranking being the most positive since its rankings in 2016.